Bicycling/Fixing Gearbox in Mountain Bikes.

Dear Jerry

Is it possible to fix Gearbox in Mountain Bikes?.

If yes, What Speeds can be achieved by the cyclist?.

Hi Prashant,

I would suppose it is possible, but a Fixed Gear bike would be only one speed in most cases and would really turn the bike into a mountain bike frame with a fixed gear system. any gear ratio you like could be obtained by a combination of front and rear cogs.

Fixed Gear bikes simply do not use a freewheel or  a coaster brake so the pedals are always engaged, much the same as a direct drive, so the bike can actually be pedaled backwards. It would seem counter-produdctive to have a gear cluster on such a bike.

Most fixies also use a wheel that flips over so there is a freewheel on one side of the wheel and a fixed cog on the other, the wheel can then be flipped over and used as a regular freewheel bike when the riders tires of riding the fixie. This would be very difficult with a multispeed bike.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

Past/Present clients
Clients of my personal training business (BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition) range from 15-80 and include Attorneys, Real Estate Brokers, Homemakers, and even Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen. By far though the bulk of my client base is the 40 plus female that has raised her family and now is able to take some time for herself.