Bicycling/Fixing Gearbox in Mountain Bikes.

Question
Dear Jerry

Is it possible to fix Gearbox in Mountain Bikes?.

If yes, What Speeds can be achieved by the cyclist?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hi Prashant,

I would suppose it is possible, but a Fixed Gear bike would be only one speed in most cases and would really turn the bike into a mountain bike frame with a fixed gear system. any gear ratio you like could be obtained by a combination of front and rear cogs.

Fixed Gear bikes simply do not use a freewheel or  a coaster brake so the pedals are always engaged, much the same as a direct drive, so the bike can actually be pedaled backwards. It would seem counter-produdctive to have a gear cluster on such a bike.

Most fixies also use a wheel that flips over so there is a freewheel on one side of the wheel and a fixed cog on the other, the wheel can then be flipped over and used as a regular freewheel bike when the riders tires of riding the fixie. This would be very difficult with a multispeed bike.

Hope this helps

Have a great day

Jerry

Bicycling

Jerry Goodwin