Bicycling/Quadrilateral Cycle.

Question
Dear Howard

Is it possible to design and Construct a quadrilateral Cycle i.e Cycle with four wheels?.

One front and three rear wheels for the cyclists?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hello Prashant,

It's possible, but completely unnecessary. Two parallel wheels provide adequate strength and stability for any situation that I can think of. The third wheel would only add extra weight, friction, and expense. Incidentally, parallel front wheels provide more stability and better steering than parallel rear wheels.

I have seen quadricycles with two wheels in front and two wheels in back at seaside resorts, with a canopy above the riders. See www.quadricycleinc.com for a picture.

Howard  

Bicycling

Howard Stone