Bicycling/Tricycle with mechanical combination Lock.

Dear Howard

Will we require one or two mechanical combination Lock for a tricycle?.

Hello Prasant,

One lock for low security; two for higher security. Most cable locks in the U.S. are six feet long. This would allow you to lock the frame (but not the wheels) to an object. If you're going to be leaving the tricycle out of sight for any length of time, or the area is prone to bike theft or other crimes, then I would get a second cable lock to pass through the first lock and also the wheels (especially the wheel with the gears attached, which is expensive to replace). I'd set both locks to the same combination to make it simpler. You would also want to get locks that coil up compactly so that you can carry them easily on the bike while you ride.

Howard Stone

I can answer questions about bicycle touring in New England and the Hudson Valley.

I have written bicycling guidebooks for Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maine, and the Hudson Valley. I served as the rides chairperson of the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen, the major bicycling club for R.I. and southeastern Mass., for 12 years.