Bicycling/neuro damage and bikes

Dear Jerry, I know how to ride a bicycle, but it has been years since I really rode. I am hard of hearing and have "soft neuro damage" from 6 weeks of age, and it took me two years to learn to ride bicycle when I was a child - I am therefore very shaky now that I'm riding again. I've tried my husband's racing bike, very thin tires, and no good! I am 62 years old now - good shape - balance is good once something is mastered - I can stand on one foot in yoga, etc., but I need to relearn my balance a bit for bicycle. What is the best bicycle for me to buy and ride? I live in New York - there are many hills.  

Thank you so much.

Hi Randi,

I would say that probably a geared cruiser bike, maybe a 7 speed, or even a 3 speed. The tires are much wider and the gears will make it easier to get up the hills. I would find a good shop in your area and have the bike fitted to you. There are many companies that make excellent cruiser bikes, pretty much you will find the better bikes at the bike shops and you should be able to get something in the less than 500.00 range that would suit your needs.

Hope thyis helps, have a great day

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

Past/Present clients
Clients of my personal training business (BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition) range from 15-80 and include Attorneys, Real Estate Brokers, Homemakers, and even Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen. By far though the bulk of my client base is the 40 plus female that has raised her family and now is able to take some time for herself.