Bicycling/Maine biking options for family

Question
Howard - our family is taking a quick weekend trip to Maine mid-Oct, and we are looking to do an easy (maybe some moderate) level ride of anywhere from 25 to 50 miles. Do you have any suggested locations/routes we should check out? Thank you. Susan

Answer
Hi Susan,

I suggest my book 25 Bicycle Tours in Maine, which is available through Amazon. Most of the rides fall into the range of your requested distances, and most fall into the "Moderate" category. A few are easier with occasional moderate hills.  

Another guidebook is Explore Maine by Bike, published by the Maine Department of Transportation. It is also available through Amazon. I have not physically seen it, and I don't know how the routes were chosen or researched.

In general, Maine is bicycle-friendly as long as you stay off obviously busy roads like Route 1, or roads that lead to busy tourist attractions like Boothbay Harbor. Maine is not flat like most of Long Island, Cape Cod, or Delmarva, but nearly all of the hills that you'll encounter (except well inland) aren't long or steep enough to be discouraging.   

I hope this helps, and enjoy your gtrip!

Howard  

Bicycling

Howard Stone