How important is the stand over clearance?   My old KHS full suspensions, has about 4" which is great, while a new one,tried Ibis HDE 650B  27.5"  I tried,  had hardly 1" and it was much less comfortable.     Both are Med. 17"

Looks like some nice bikes that I'd like to purchase have hardly 1" clearance...  What is your input please?

Thanks you,  Gabe

Hi Gabe,

Sorry for the late reply. Usually the clearance should be 2" for a male rider from the top bar when standing.

Reason being is so that you have better control over the bike. This is one method used when sizing a bike.

second reason is to protect your groin area.

1" won't really matter if you like the bike, it just may feel a bit larger.

Hope this helps you out a little.

Thx and happy riding.  

George F

Hi there! I use to mountain bike but now I do road. I have over 14 years experience and I can answer almost any riding or technical questions you may have. This is such a fun and healthy sport to get into, thatís why I'm here to help anyone who has any questions on it ~ Thanks and donít be shy to ask me!

I have many years of biking experience and Iím proud to say only 2 wipe outs! (maybe 3). Now I ride for fun and long distances with my new bike that I built up myself. My ride is a 2009 ECLIPSE Sheriff (AN6 HT1). I have entered numerous races and biking events and have learnt skills, tricks, techniques and the know how to be an efficient rider.

Been cycling for many years. Part of annual Regional Police Bicycle Rodeo. Active participant of group ride club.