Bicycling/standover height

How important is the stand over clearance?   My old KHS full suspensions, has about 4" which is great, while a new one,tried Ibis HDE 650B  27.5"  I tried,  had hardly 1" and it was much less comfortable.     Both are Med. 17"

Looks like some nice bikes that I'd like to purchase have hardly 1" clearance...  What is your input please?

Thanks you,  Gabe

Hi Gabriel

I understand the problem and yes different brands have a slight variation in standover height even though the frame size is said to be the same. That is the nature of cycling and bicycles.

Don't eliminate the bikes you like on that basis, see if you can put a smaller wheelset on like a 650 in place of a 700. or can you go down to a 16? or a 24" instead of a 26" wheelset and tires.

Yes standover height is important, but I would not eliminate a bike solely on that. You should check with your LBS since they sell the brands you will likely buy they would know more about how that particular brand measures eaverything/

I dealt with Fuji and KHS mainly when I had a bike shop, so am more familiar with them.

Hope this helpd

Have a great day

Jerry Goodwin

I can answer questions related to any of the following areas alternative medicine, fitness, physical education, weight training, senior health, bicycling, personal trainers, personal training, medical technology, health and wellness, eating disorders, weight loss, Naturopathy, first aid, and bodybuilding. In fact I was listed as an expert in each of these categories at until they closed down

Past/Present clients
Clients of my personal training business (BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition) range from 15-80 and include Attorneys, Real Estate Brokers, Homemakers, and even Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen. By far though the bulk of my client base is the 40 plus female that has raised her family and now is able to take some time for herself.