Biography/How to deal with accusations/rumours in a memoir?

Question
I'm editing a memoir of my late fathe who was an actor. Many people he mentioned in the manuscript are still alive.

May I ask what to do in this case? In one paragraph, he said he "heard" that a person had stolen some rare movies from a library.

Do I need to remove this paragraph for legal reason?

Answer
Thanks for your question, Kevin.

There could be fallout, legal or otherwise, from the statement as your father phrased it. You have several options:

1. Delete the phrase.
2. Keep the phrase and don't identify the person accused.
3. Restate the phrase with something like, "Several persons pointed fingers at a teenage girl (or other general description) and she was never charged."
4. Restate the phrase with something like, "The librarian discovered some rare movies missing and suspected theft, although no one was charged."

If you are writing your father's story then you do not have a memoir, you have a biography. It is a memoir when it is by and about the author. In a memoir, the author always speaks in the first person.

Best wishes for every success.

Biography

Wayne Groner