Biology/transcription: where is the promoter?

sam wrote at 2010-03-08 13:46:39
her answer was completely wrong. promoter on coding strand because its the sense strand. Then RNA polymerase starts copying the template strand, its that simple. And don't listen to her about it being on both, that doesnt make any sense because complimentary strands are usually not the same like GCT and CGA are not the same...

Hassan wrote at 2013-02-19 18:22:19
In genetics, a promoter is a region of DNA that initiates transcription of a particular gene. Promoters are located near the genes they transcribe, on the same strand and upstream on the DNA (towards the 3' region of the anti-sense strand, also called template strand and non-coding strand). Promoters can be about 1001000 base pairs long.

wikepedia

Biology

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.