Biology/transcription: where is the promoter?

sam wrote at 2010-03-08 13:46:39
her answer was completely wrong. promoter on coding strand because its the sense strand. Then RNA polymerase starts copying the template strand, its that simple. And don't listen to her about it being on both, that doesnt make any sense because complimentary strands are usually not the same like GCT and CGA are not the same...

Hassan wrote at 2013-02-19 18:22:19
In genetics, a promoter is a region of DNA that initiates transcription of a particular gene. Promoters are located near the genes they transcribe, on the same strand and upstream on the DNA (towards the 3' region of the anti-sense strand, also called template strand and non-coding strand). Promoters can be about 1001000 base pairs long.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I can answer biology-related questions in the areas of evolution, zoology, botany, genetics, and ecology. But I don't answer homework questions or provide ideas for your science fair projects. So students please do your learning the right way by reading your text assignments and studying!

At the University of Miami, I teach Evolution and Biodiversity, Botany, Zoology, Genetics, Ecology, and a variety of seminars (e.g., the Biology and Evolution of Human Gender Roles).

I have a B.S. in Biology and an A.B. in English from the University of Southern California (1980). I earned my Ph.D. in Biology in the area of evolutionary biology/visual physiology from the University of Miami in 1989.

I am currently an "expert" in both the "Rabbits" and "Wild Animals" categories.