Biology/natural gas farts?

My farts smell like natural gas, or rather the odor that is added to natural gas to detect a leak. Is this the same smell that's added to natural gas, and what is it? What causes this smell and am I okay?

I looked in the health and fitness section but couldn't find any category or subcategory that fit, and you know physiology so could you help me, please?

Hi Shadow
Intestinal gas is Methane gas and the gas itself is odorless. The odor is due to other compounds. Since the natural gas we use is odorless methane a compound called methyl mercaptan is added to it so we can detect any leaks. Methyl mercaptan is skunk oil. You cannot have any skunk oil in your intestines so I cannot explain why you have the odor

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association