Biology/A possible method of neuron regeneration?

Question
Good afternoon Mr. Hintz. I am not necessarily asking a question here, but instead simply seeking the opinion of someone with considerable knowledge. Please feel free to take your time in answering this question as I am in no hurry to receive an answer. So, let me explain my little idea that came up. I am currently enrolled in Biology II AP in my high school, and I remember learning that neurons do not regenerate, which can lead to future problems for people that have lost too many neurons. Well recently,our class underwent the mitosis/meiosis unit and we learned about how cancer works. One thing we learned was that even though every cell has the mechanisms to divide, some cells are stuck in a stage called G0 (that's a zero), such as neurons. Well, even though this might be a very far stretched idea and, along with my lack of expertise in the matter, I'm probably missing something important, I was thinking this. If at some time in the future, we managed to find a cure to stop uncontrolled cell division (cancer), would it be possibly to actually force the neurons to become cancerous (with oncogenes maybe?) and once a sufficient amount of neurons have been restored, stop the division with the cure? I know this most likely seems ridiculous but I would greatly appreciate an opinion on the matter. What do you think? Maybe this is a possibility? Thank you for your time and have a good day Mr. Hintz.

Answer
Hi Alejandro
Your proposition is interesting but seems impractical to me. Most brain cancers begin with glial cells, nerve cell that do regenerate. Stem cells called neuroblasts that can develop into neurons are being studied now and offer hope for the future

Biology

Walter Hintz