Biology/Right v/s Left Handed / Footed Human Beings.

Right Handed
Right Handed  

Left Handed
Left Handed  
Dear Prof Walter

why are there more right handed or right footed people than left handed or left footed people ?

Do Genetics, Neurological science play a role in this ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

This is due to brain dominance and it is genetic. Right handedness is a dominant trait. The left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and vice versa. There are individuals who are ambidextrous but this also is familial. My father and brother could use either hand but they still favored  one over the other. My son is left handed and my wife was born left handed. However it used to be the trend in the US to try to convert left handed people to right handed and when a child started to write with a left hand their hand was slapped. It was a right handed world. Consider school desks for example that were designed for right hands only.
 This has nothing to do with your question but the Romans considered anything to do with the left as bad luck. They actually practiced infanticide with left handed children. The Latin word for left is "sinestra". The English word "sinister" comes from the Latin.
The Romans were excellent at architecture,politics and building roads but followed strange superstitions  

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association