Biology/Hair

Question
Hello, I was just wondering if the hair on your head, body hair (underarms, genitals, legs, etc.), and facial hair are all the same. If not, is there a reason why? And if so, why do they have different textures and sometimes colors?

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Rebecca
First of all hair consists of a protein called Keratin. It is chemically the same wherever it occurs on the body. All coloration of the hair depends upon a pigment called melanin and any variation depends upon your genetic make up and the environment. Pubic hair is courser then hair on the head. It has a flattened shape and is thicker. Sex hormones cause this. Facial hair is also thicker. It is difficulty to answer why questions except to say that the human body is as it is due to evolutionary changes and the DNA

Biology

Walter Hintz