Biology/decalcifying bones

I am curious do you know what decalcifying is exactly and how its done? and is it possible for a person's skull to be decalcified

Hi Tony
Calcium is removed from bone by am increase in the activity of cells called Osteoclasts and the opposite reactions depend upon Osteoblasts Normally there is a balance between this activity.
When there is a lack of calcium intake or an abnormal parathyroid activity osteoclastic activity increases and there is a bone loss. It usually happens in the long bones first. It is unlikely the skull would be decalcified

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association