Biology/Zombies

Question
Hello,

Iím currently writing an argumentative paper for my college English course. Iím going to be stuck with this topic until the end of this course, so I wanted to choose a subject that interests me: zombies. I realize that itís silly and that itís more aptly described as pseudo-science than actual biology.

I wanted to argue that they CAN exist, however unlikely, even though I donít believe theyíre possible. Do you have any suggestion in the way of how a parasite, or disease, or whatever else, could conceivably make a person have decreased motor function and to lose their capacity for thought? A lot of the argument will be based on the definition of the zombie Iím trying to prove.

I would very much appreciate your input. Please respond soon

Thanks,
Matt

Answer
Hi Matthew
In Science a fact is not a fact unless it can be proven false. If the definition of a zombie is that the person is dead, that is a fact that can be tested. Your definition of a zombie would have to different that a walking dead. There are certainly pathological conditions whereby a person would have deceased motor activity and problems thinking. Strokes or other forms of brain damage would do this. A destruction of the pathways to the frontal lobes of the brain could create an individual who could wander about aimlessly. Eating other people would not occur however

Biology

Walter Hintz