Iím currently writing an argumentative paper for my college English course. Iím going to be stuck with this topic until the end of this course, so I wanted to choose a subject that interests me: zombies. I realize that itís silly and that itís more aptly described as pseudo-science than actual biology.

I wanted to argue that they CAN exist, however unlikely, even though I donít believe theyíre possible. Do you have any suggestion in the way of how a parasite, or disease, or whatever else, could conceivably make a person have decreased motor function and to lose their capacity for thought? A lot of the argument will be based on the definition of the zombie Iím trying to prove.

I would very much appreciate your input. Please respond soon

Hi Matthew
In Science a fact is not a fact unless it can be proven false. If the definition of a zombie is that the person is dead, that is a fact that can be tested. Your definition of a zombie would have to different that a walking dead. There are certainly pathological conditions whereby a person would have deceased motor activity and problems thinking. Strokes or other forms of brain damage would do this. A destruction of the pathways to the frontal lobes of the brain could create an individual who could wander about aimlessly. Eating other people would not occur however

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association