Why does your body store more energy as fat than a carbohydrate?

The body is constantly metabolizing the biological compounds, carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins. The metabolism of a carbohydrate releases quick energy with the breakdown of Glucose. More energy is needed to build and a lipid and more to metabolize it. Think of it this way. When I eat a meal some of the food is providing energy right away and some is stored as Glycogen. More of it is stored in fat cells. II eat more calories then needed it has to go someplace and is converted as a lipid.  

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association