I've been learning about moss, lycophytes and spores, I understand that heterosporous plants have very different spores for the male and the female, but are spores in homosporous plants similar looking but also male and female? Or do homosporous plants produce only one types of spore that has no sex?

Thank you for your help

Hi Petra
Heterospores are of two types Microspores and Megaspores. All seed plants, some ferns and a few Lycophyta produce heterospores. The heterospores fuse to form the Gametophyte plant.
Homospores are all alike. The germinate to form archegonia and antheridia which fuse to form the Gametophyte plant

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association