A researcher observes that the higher the altitude, the shorter the plant will grow. Please make an hypothesis and explain the results.
Which one is correct
A) Higher altitudes effect the presence of genes that determine height.
B) Higher altitudes decrease the expression of genes  that promote height.
C) The plants at lower altitudes are genetically different from plants at higher altitudes.
D) Lower altitudes cause mutations of genes that determine height.
Please say why.

Hi Player. I would reject all these hypothesis. There is no reason to think the altitude would alter the DNA unless the plant was exposed in outer space to radiation. The main stimulation to plant growth in height is the amount of light and Phototropism. The plant would have to reach an altitude where the plant would not survive before the such effect would be measurable

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association