Biology/Can we get diseases from aliens?

Hi! I was wondering if we could get diseases from aliens because part of me thinks it might be impossible because aliens evolved in one planet and therefore their entire biology can be so different from ours that whatever causes their diseases (their equivalents of bacteria and viruses) might not have any way to affect to our bodies because our bodies could be so different that the bacteria or viruses couldn't recognize a human as a system to ''infect'' and would just stick in the human body and die and one thing that comes to my mind is that the biology of the supposed aliens might be so different to us that their diseases might not be capable of using the ''resources'' of our body for replicating inside of us which is the primary cause for the diseases when the number of pathogens overwhelms the immune system. Do you agree with me that this might be possible that we might have vastly different biology when compared to aliens that we might be immune to their diseases like a mac is immune to windows viruses simply because the alien diseases didn't evolve to infect species from the ecosystem of Earth?

Great ideas Mika!  I do agree with you!  A truly alien pathogen would likely be so foreign as to be "unable" to harness our biology to its advantage.  There could be ill-effects caused by sensitivities to certain substances on or produced by these foreign "germs", but a true infection would (hopefully) be very unlikely as these relationships take time to develop.  This concept is actually a plot point in the story "War of the Worlds", as it states, that with the cost of one billion lives 'Man had earned his immunity, his right to survive'.

Chris Bemis

I will answer questions relating to the identification of bacterial and fungal isolates using phenotypic (macroscopic/microscopic appearance, biochemical bench tests, fatty-acid analysis) as well as genotypic (RiboPrinting) methods. I can also answer questions relating to environmental microbiology, especially those specifically relating to the pharmaceutical industry. I am less familiar with clinical microbiology.

I have worked within the biotech industry for 9 years, most of that time spent in a Quality Control Microbiology laboratory setting. Within the laboratory, I routinely performed bioburden testing; sterility testing; gel-clot and kinetic LAL testing; biological indicator testing; stability testing; microbial limits testing; media performance/growth promotion testing; microbial identifications testing using API, Vitek, MIDI (GC-MIS) and RiboPrinter identifications systems; total/fecal coliform testing; environmental monitoring; media preparation; stock culture maintenance; qualification of identification test kits and QuantiCult Plus organisms. I executed the QC validation of the DuPont Qualicon RiboPrinter Microbial Characterization System. I also supported sites internationally with the fungal/microbial identification process, the RiboPrinter assay, stock culture maintenance and the microbial identification process flow.

Nationally Registered Microbiologist, American Society of Microbiology (2005)

Applied and Environmental Microbiology

B.S. in Microbiology (2000)

Received my company's 'Best Practice Award' for the Validation of the RiboPrinter Microbial Characterization System, 2004