Biology/science fair idea

Question
QUESTION: I'm doing a science fair project on how colour/ smell affects appetite and I need help on 2 things:

1) What should I put on the video in fornt of my trifold that I'm going to hsve

2) What can I have that connects to the audience for this project

ANSWER: Hi Rupert
I do not have enough information here about this project. You must tell me more. What is your hypothesis and what is your experimental design. I am not sure what you mean by using videos and using a trifold? Who are the subjects being tested and how are you collecting your data? What are your controls and independent variables?

QUESTION: Here's a bit more info walter:

I was wondering if you could help me with my science fair question

I have a science fair in between 2-3 weeks
and my topic is How does color/smell affect our appetite?

Here's what I want on the science fair:
An interview with people about my question on the trifold, a video in front of the trifold and something that connects to the audience when they come to look at my project.

Please give me some Interview questions to ask people. and

Please tell me what to put in the video in front of the trifold and

Please tell me what I can have to connect with the audience

My hypothesis:
I think Color strongly affects taste perception. Whether through dyes, artificial coloring, or natural colors, food companies strive to make their products desirable through color. Color can also affect how easily we determine taste. For example, if cherry soda is colored red, people are able to identify the taste easier than if the same cherry soda was colored green. Some people think that the color it isn't important, but it is. If food companies can sell more food or drinks based on the color of the food, then they will do what they can to make food and drinks the proper color to make more money.
I also think that scent plays a very important part taste, the way that you taste something is very important because without scent you wouldn’t have interest in the food. Pretend you walk into your house and you mom’s making supper, just the smell gets your taste buds all bubbled up. Now, pretend you had no smell sense and then when you walk into your house, you have no interest in supper and you always miss out on that extra spark when you eat something.

My conclusion:
Sight is not technically part of taste, it certainly influences perception. Interestingly, food and drink are identified predominantly by the senses of smell and sight, not taste. The same goes for smell, in many cases.
To our brains, "taste" is actually a fusion of a food's taste, smell and touch into a single sensation. Further, "flavor" is a more accurate term for what we commonly refer to as taste; Cells that recognize these flavors reside in taste buds located on the tongue and the roof of the mouth. When food and drink are placed in the mouth, taste cells are activated and we perceive a flavor. Concurrently, whatever we are eating or sipping invariably contacts and activates sensory cells, located side-by-side with the taste cells, that allow us to perceive qualities such as temperature, spiciness or creaminess. We perceive the act of touch as tasting because the contact "captures" the flavor sensation.
Smells also seem to come from the mouth, even though there are no cells there responsible for detecting scents. To demonstrate this phenomenon for yourself, hold your nose and place a strawberry jelly bean in your mouth and chew. You should detect sweetness and a little sourness, along with the hard (and then soft) feeling of the candy. With your nose held, however, you won't notice the strawberry odor. When you let go, though, you allow the odor molecules to travel through the nasal cavity to the smell cells, and suddenly the jelly bean has a strawberry flavor.  Instead the sensation of strawberry, for example, depends upon activation of smell cells located at the end of the nasal passage. The information gathered by these cells is relayed to the mouth via a process called olfactory referral. When you let go, though, you allow the odor molecules to travel through the nasal cavity to the smell cells, and suddenly the jelly bean has a strawberry flavor. aromas such as vanilla, for example, can cause something perceived as sweet to taste sweeter

I have some experiments in mind but can you please answer my main questions of:

- what I should have on the video in front of my tri fold

- what can I have that could connect to the people that come to look at my project

Thanx in advance

ANSWER: I have looked over this material Rupert and it looks like an ambitious project and you have a lot of study of your problem but you have not employed the scientific method. I do not know your schools rules and policies for science fair projects but the scientific method  is paramount in any science fair that I have directed or judged. This procedure should be followed
1. State the problem ,In this case What is the relationship between seeing colors and the senses of taste and smell
2. Research the topic. You have done this and it is stated in you conclusions
3.Make a hypotheses. Your first statement is all you need. i.e.Color affects the sense of taste
4.. Experimental design :I see no experimental design
5.. Collect data :You have no data
6. Draw conclusions : You have drawn conclusions with any data to support the hypothesis
7. Report your findings; You have nothing to report

Now some information here. Taste is not flavor. There 4 (sometimes 5) tastes: sweet ,sour salty,,and bitter and thousands of Flavors. Flavor is a combination of Taste and Smell Without smell there is no flavor. And by the way there are hereditary factors involved  in taste and smell.

You mentioned you have some experiment in mind but I cannot help you without knowing what they are. They are going to determine you independent variables and your controls.
So I cannot answer your questions because I am not sure haw videos are going to be involved.

QUESTION: ok forget about the video, can u just tell me what I should have for the experimental design, collecting data, and what I should have for the report?

It would be good if you can give me some info on what I should have on those 3 categories

Thanks in Advance

Answer
OK Rupert
I am going to give you three things to do
1. Look up Synaesthesia and read a little about it.
2. Go to this web site for ideas using he scientific method to study the topic
   Faculty.washington.edu/chudler/coltaste.html
3. Also try this site
  www.colormatters.com/does-color-affect-taste

Then get back to me if you have other questions

Biology

Walter Hintz