Biology/Plumose setae

Question
Hello, I am doing a biology project on the Hobo spider (Tegenaria agrestis). I am supposed to be selecting certain characteristics about it that are interesting. For some reason I chose these hairs on the spiders legs called plumose setae. For the life of me I cannot figure out the function that these hairs have for the spider. I was wondering if you could give me some insight onto how spiders that have these hairs use them and why the spiders might have them.

Thank you very much!

Answer
Hi Jesse
Setae on spiders and many insects are sensory structures They are used to detect vibrations and air currents. I would like to refer you to this web site. (utahpests.usu.edu.) Here you will find out all there is to know about Hobo Spiders

Walter

Biology

Walter Hintz