Biology/Biology - Check

Question
Which of the following correctly describes the observed variation among living species?
 A. all possible combinations of traits can be found in nature    
 B. plants and animals come in specific kinds with no gradations between them    
 C. while not all combinations of traits are found in nature, the combinations that are found are random    
 D. all combinations of traits were created, but only the beautiful species have not gone extinct    
 E. variation occurs in nested groups such that we see gradations among some (related) species but not others

MY ANSWER: E

Which force of evolution creates new genetic traits?
Which force of evolution can allow a new trait to spread to other populations in the same species?
Which force of evolution can cause a trait to become common (increase in frequency) in a population even if the trait is not adaptive?
 A. gene flow    
 B. genetic drift    
 C. genetic testing    
 D. mutation    
 E. natural selection

MY ANSWERS: D, A, B

According to the evolutionary tree from the last slide of the Forces of Evolution lecture (which can also be found at http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evograms_07 ), which human relatives have adaptations for long-distance running?
 A.
Homo habilis, H. erectus, H. neanderthalensis, H. heidelbergensis and H. sapiens
 B.
Homo erectus, H. neanderthalensis, H. heidelbergensis and H. sapiens
 C.
Homo erectus, H. neanderthalensis, and H. heidelbergensis
 D.
Homo erectus and H. neanderthalensis
 E.
only Homo erectus

MY ANSWER: E

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Lana; I would agree with your answers. I  am sure that mutation will be the answer accepted. Personally I do not subscribe to the idea that changes in the DNA and speciation are brought through mutations. Darwin was not even sure about it. If you are interested in this look up the ideas of Lynn Margulis,(endosymbiosis)

Biology

Walter Hintz