Just curious- how is a starfish, which has no teeth or other structures for mechanical digeestion able to prey so easily on corals, which secrete a hard CaCO3 skeleton?

Hi Mac
Suppose that tomorrow at breakfast time you set your plate of food in front of you and leaned over it. Then your stomach was ejected and covered your plate until the food was ingested. Sounds rather disgusting but  this is the way Seastars feed on their prey. They cling to their food with a water hydrolic system of tube feet and eject the stomach and withdraw it when finished. With regard to corel, keep in mind that the skeleton encloses the soft bodied polyps. The starfish  covers them and when finished only the calcium shell is left

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association