Biology/blood types

what blood types do a- take and why? Why cant it take the other blood types

First I have to give you a little background information. Human blood contains proteins. Two of them have been the designation of A and B proteins and they are inherited. Everyone either has Type A,B AB or O. If you are type AB you have both proteins and if Type O you have neither. Now a foreign protein is rejected by the body so if you need blood you cannot take a type you do not have so if you have Type A you can only take Type A or O . You can take O because O is not a protein. B can take B or O and AB can take all types

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association