Biology/digestive system

how is food digested and absorbed within the digestive tract. how can an inflamed large intestine interfere with the colon

Textbooks devote a whole chapter answering this question so I can only give you a brief outline.
 Food is digested by enzymes in the mouth stomach and upper small intestine. It is absorbed by structures called villi in the lower small intestine and passed into the blood stream.  The colon and large intestine are the same thing and water is absorbed in the colon. If is inflamed constipation can occur

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association