Biology/Lifeapan of germs

Question
I was unglogging a glogged toilet with the toilet brush and the toilet was flooded quite high and half the handle got wet. So how long will the bacteria and viruses in the toilet brush live? A week?

Answer
Hi Artero
First of all you should wash the handle with soap and water
Virus particles are not alive and require living cells to persist so they would no longer be a factor on the brush. Living bacterial cells can form spores and persist for a long period but the type of bacteria you would find from a toilet and usually not a dangerous form. Normal intestinal bacteria from a healthy person are not disease causing.
 Never the less proper hand washing should always be carried out.

Biology

Walter Hintz