Biology/Leprosy

Question
Dear Sir,

Greetings to you.

I want to know if leprosy can be completed cured.  Can the body parts that are deformed be restored?

Some people say that when leprosy patients lose all their feeling, they literally rub their extremities off.  Is that the reason why their body parts become deformed?

Thank you for your attention.
Lenin

Answer
Hi Lenin
  Yes.The causative organism can be complete destroyed with antibiotics. Because of the negative connotation of leprosy it is now called Hansen's disease In the US people are cured and they no longer have deformed body parts. In parts of the world where this may happen recovery depends upon the extent of the damage

walter  

Biology

Walter Hintz