Biology/Active Camouflage

Question
The skin color changing abilities of cephalopods are very energectically exspensive, could a small mammal (Hamster size) actually meet the metabolic needs to perform such color changing feats as well? Just wondering on the metabolic level if it could be possible.

Answer
Hi Oz
Without considering the energy involved it would not be possible for a mammal to change color as sea animals and some lizards do. Their color changes invole activity of live cells and pigmentation. Hair is made up of  keratin and is not cellular except for the follicular cells.  Hair does change color over time bt only within the follicle

Biology

Walter Hintz