Biology/Active Camouflage

The skin color changing abilities of cephalopods are very energectically exspensive, could a small mammal (Hamster size) actually meet the metabolic needs to perform such color changing feats as well? Just wondering on the metabolic level if it could be possible.

Hi Oz
Without considering the energy involved it would not be possible for a mammal to change color as sea animals and some lizards do. Their color changes invole activity of live cells and pigmentation. Hair is made up of  keratin and is not cellular except for the follicular cells.  Hair does change color over time bt only within the follicle

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association