Biology/Maximum life span of Fishes.

Dear Prof Walter

Can we trace the maximum life span of Fishes viz Gold Fish, Small Shark, Piranha etc?.

Hi Prashant
This is a difficult question to answer. The maximum life of a fish in  a natural situation is based upon the predator- prey relationships Most fishes are predators and will feed on newly hatched fishes. Even the newborn sharks can be prey. So the life span of a shark at maturity can only be a guess.
When it comes to fish in captivity when there is no predation, we can observe how long they live. It is unlikely that any body has raised a Great White shark from birth to maturity and death.

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association