Biology/Maximum life span of Fishes.

Question
Dear Prof Walter

Can we trace the maximum life span of Fishes viz Gold Fish, Small Shark, Piranha etc?.

Thanks
Prashant

Answer
Hi Prashant
This is a difficult question to answer. The maximum life of a fish in  a natural situation is based upon the predator- prey relationships Most fishes are predators and will feed on newly hatched fishes. Even the newborn sharks can be prey. So the life span of a shark at maturity can only be a guess.
When it comes to fish in captivity when there is no predation, we can observe how long they live. It is unlikely that any body has raised a Great White shark from birth to maturity and death.

Biology

Walter Hintz