Biology/Biology

Question
One way that meiosis 1 is different from mitosis is that

A. meiosis 1 produces 2 haploid daughter cells, but mitosis produces 2 diploid daughter cells.
B.sister chromatids are pulled apart during meiosis I, but not during mitosis.
C. DNA replication occurs during interphase before mitosis , but not before meiosis 1.
D. homologous chromosomes are segregated during mitosis , but remain together during meiosis 1.

Answer
Mitosis is the process of cell division which results in the production of two daughter cells. Meiosis is the process of cell division which results in the production of four daughter cells.
Mitosis takes place when cells multiply and want to keep their genetic material eg. when a cut is healing and skin cells need to make new identical cells.
Meiosis takes place when cells divide to half their genetic material eg. when cells divide to make gametes (sperm and egg cells)

Meiosis takes place in the sex organs (testes and ovaries)
Mitosis takes place anywhere in the body

Meiosis splits the genetic material from diploid to haploid
Mitosis makes identical copies of the genetic material

Crossing over occurs in Meiosis
No crossing over occurs in Mitosis

Meiosis occurs in two stages (Meiosis 1 and 2)
Mitosis occurs in one stage

meiosis 1 produces 2 haploid daughter cells, but mitosis produces 2 diploid daughter cells [[Meiosis I and Meiosis II both produce haploid cells because the daughter cells only have half of the chromosomes as the original cell. How is this possible?

Well, before Prophase I, you know that the chromosomes duplicate, and now each chromosome consists of two chromatids connected at a centromere. For example, let's take a human somatic (body) cell. We have 46 chromosomes in a typical cell. Each chromosome is just a segment of DNA, shaped sort of like a line ( / ). When they replicate, the cell STILL HAS 46 chromosomes- however, each chromosome now has TWO chromatids. The shape of the chromosomes is now the familiar " X " shape.

At the end of meiosis I, the homologues separate, and so each cell only has 23 " X " shaped chromosomes. The cells are haploid.

At the end of meiosis II, however, the chromatids that make up the " X " chromosomes separate- so each chromosome now just looks like one line again ( / ). Each of the four daughter cells gets 23 chromatids, but once the chromatids separate, they are called chromosomes.

meiosis 1 produces 2 haploid cells, because the chromosomes don't split at the centromere, so each new cell gets only 23 chromosomes
meiosis 2 is basically the exact same as mitosis and the chromosomes split at the centromere, so each resulting cell from meiosis 2 has 23 chromosomes.  

Biology

Deb