Biology/SF story biology question

In the Science Fiction story "Danger Human!" by Gordon R Dickson, a human manages to escape an escape-proof alien prison partly by constantly throwing up and thereby using his stomach-acid over a long period of time to gradually dissolve the metal bars of his cell. (I gather that the PH value of human stomach-acid is c.1.0 or so, so  presumably should do the trick?) Is this described feat feasible at all?
Thanks, Geoff.

Hi Geoff
At first it sounds like a logical idea,but I afraid it just would not work. It requires 2 moles of HCl for every mole of metal. Therefore it would take about two liters of acid to dissolve a portion of a metal bar. Constant vomiting causes dehydration and the prisoner would die before that much HCl  was produced. But hey! This is science fiction, right?

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association