Biology/Genetics

Question
Dear Sir,
We have a question related to genetics in our book. It is this: "Are variations produced due to mutations?" As far as my knowledge of cell cycle is concerned I think we were taught that crossing over during meiosis is responsible for variation. Mutations too(I think) can cause variations in the next generations. But I want a clearer view of the matter. That is where I need your help.

Answer
Hi AB
Are we talking about a change in the DNA. A mutation does alter sequence in the DNA structure but not always a change in an individual that is passed on to the next generation. There are  repair enzymes that can correct the situation. Crossing over allows a recombination of genes amd variation in offspring.  

Biology

Walter Hintz