Biology/Biochemistry

Question
Hello sir.

i have been stuck in a topics for long time.

My question is.....

Hydrolysis means splitting by water but that doesn't mean in catabolism reaction.

So, why all hydrolysis reaction are catabolic reaction?.  Can you briefly explain me...

Thanks in advance

Answer
Hi Shuvo.
The digestive process is hydrolytic. Sucrose am Disaccharide is split into two monosacchrides by the addition od water ( a catabolic process)But hydrolysis does not only occur as   a catabolic process. For example consider the salt of a weak acid when added to water. The water is spilt into a negative hydroxyl (OH) and a Hydrogen ion and the aid molecule is split also

Biology

Walter Hintz