Biology/death question.

Why does a rear naked choke make a person pass out and not die but if someone uses a plastic bag over a persons head or covered the other persons mouth and nose at the same time they die?

Hi Omar
 If the oxygen intake is completely cut off for an extended period, a person dies from lack of oxygen to the brain. I do not know much about rear naked choked holds but if any choke hold is maintained long enough it would also cause death. In the case you mention I suspect that once the person passes out the hold is released or does not cut off the air supply completely

Walter Hintz

Science teacher for over 50 years. MSc. in biology. I can answer questions in general biology, zoology, botany, anatomy and physiology and biochemistry.

I have a MSc in biology and have been a science teacher for over 50 years. At present I am a faculty member at a college and a science consultant at seven catholic schools.

The Ohio journal of Science
Momentum-The Journal of the Catholic Education Association