Biotech & Biomedical/degree choice

Question
Hi Dr Skett. I'm looking at at a change in education and have started an Open University degree. I have a real interest in Biomedical science and its engineering aspects but due to its specifics the OU don't offer a course. Would you be able to advise on a path please? Googling gives both an engineering degree followed by an MA in biology and vice versa, I really could do with an expert opinion. Many thanks.

Answer
Hi, Rick,

Thanks for your question.  This is a good area to get into as there area lot of interesting applications of engineering to biological systems which I assume from your question is the area you want to work/ research in.

I know people who are biologists by training and have moved into the engineering aspects and engineers who have teamed up with biologists to apply their expertise to biological problems. So, in essence, you can go either route and end up where you want to be. Do not specialise too early in your university career, leave your options open at this stage - things can change!

There is a Bioengineering degree at the University of Strathclyde that may be worth looking at, however. This is a very good course.

Best of luck with your future career.

Hope this is of help!

Best wishes,

Paul

Biotech & Biomedical

Dr.Paul Skett