Bipolar Disorder/Devastated by bipolar breakup

Lissette wrote at 2013-09-05 15:05:14
This was posted some time ago but I hope you got out of the relationship for good. I am a late-30s woman who was with a medicated bipolar man for 2 years. The relationship was horrible but extremely addictive...lots of ups and downs, passion, excitement, emotional abuse, drama, and despair. We were engaged, then he broke it off...we were buying a house together, and he changed his mind after we signed the contract....he wanted to have a baby but I couldn't see him ever being a stable father. In the end, we got engaged again...we had a huge blowout over a picture I posted on FB where he thought I I got pregnant despite BC and he fled to another country after telling me he never loved me, he hated me, he wanted to kill me or himself, etc. He totally snapped and disappeared, resurfacing from time to time to leave me voice mails where he would accuse me of ruining his life, telling me he wasn't bipolar, that I made him sick etc. I would never go back and I would never wish that on anyone. If he broke up with you about something dumb once, he will do it again and again until you are emotionally destroyed. You never know if it's the illness, some personality disorder, or that he is just a cruel jerk but it doesn't matter. He will never treat you right and as hard as it is, you have to detach from him and slowly recover.

Bipolar Disorder

I am available to answer questions of a general nature about bipolar disorder, provide online resources that address bipolar disorder in a more in-depth manner and sources to serve as a starting point for those looking for substantial information on the illness from a healthcare professional approach. I am not a doctor or a psychiatrist, my background is based in personal experience and extensive reading in my own process of understanding my diagnosis. I can also take questions that deal with the social issues surrounding bipolar disorder such as relationships; coping for family, friends, and the patient; marriage, choosing to start a family and related. Answers to questions of a legal nature will provide general information but anyone with a serious legal problem should consult an attorney licensed to practice in their jurisdiction.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder type II in 2000; as a SSI beneficiary, have experience and knowledge of the limitations and processes involved with the program; I understand the moods, the feelings, the worries, the doubts, and a lot more that there's not enough room to express - from the personal experiences of being bipolar. I have first-hand experience with the challenges of returning to college following hospitalizations and various combinations of medications that were tried before my doctor and I finally arrived at the most effective medication program for my treatment. My family and I have learned so much about each other in the process of dealing with the highs and lows that followed my diagnosis. I've had relationships with someone who also is bipolar and someone that is not - romantic relationships are no easier on either side! I feel that many of the ideas and beliefs that people have regarding bipolar disorder and those who have the condition promote the continuation of social stigmas associated with mental illness in general, and after learning from others with bipolar disorder, hope to guide others who may be trying to navigate the government health care system,& share information on other possible means of obtaining assistance with the cost of medications and/or mental health services and limited financial assistance programs for meeting basic living expenses for qualified individuals, dealing with problems from or with family & loved ones, co-occurring substance abuse problems, medications and side-effects (and when it feels like nothing will work, or why it's not helping the situation to ask whether or not a patient has taken their 'meds' when they seem hostile or moody to those around them).

I have a B.A. in Liberal Arts and will earn my J.D. upon completion of the Spring 2011 term after which I will be preparing to take the multi-state bar exam.