Bipolar Disorder/Possible misdiagnosis due to antidepressant-induced hypomania (No family history)

Someone else wrote at 2013-04-01 02:54:40
There is actually a lot of controversy about bipolar misdiagnoses within the medical literature right now.  And a lot of it relates to the fact that the antidepressants were, only several years back, required to add black box warnings to their labels to reflect the fact they do indeed cause mania, suicides, and violence.

I highly recommend reading a book called Medication Madness by Peter Breggin, in this book he points out this concern a couple times.  He also has numerous books that specifically discuss the over medication of children in this country, you may want to read several of his books.  Another good book, if you're interested in the history of the psychiatric industry, and specifically the meds given to people diagnosed with bipolar - called neuroleptics or major tranquilizers or antipsychotics - is Mad in America by Robert Whitaker.  Trust me, you don't want to be put on those drugs.

I  will caution you, unfortunately based on personal experience, that the psychiatric drugs have, timewise, a much longer withdrawal symptom possibility than the DSM-IV-TR states is likely.  Based on my experience, I suffered withdrawal induced mania a full six months after  I was properly weaned off drugs by a doctor.  But since the DSM is incorrect, this led to a subsequent misdiagnosis.  

By the way, I had no family or personal  history of any psychiatric problems and ended up being misdiagnosed as bipolar due to withdrawal from a "safe" smoking cessation med, which is actually a dangerous antidepressant that now carries a black box warning.  I've been drug free for 6 years now, thank God!

Good luck to you, and do yoir best to stay off the psychiatric drugs.  They cause the symptoms of the illnesses they are advertised to cure, and cause chemical imbalances in people's brains, rather than cure them.  And I can't tell you how saddened I am by all the children being railroaded onto dangerous drugs based on unprovable DSM  "man-made diseases."  I'm sorry corporate greed is rationalizing drugging up children, as acceptable.  It breaks my heart.

Write your own destiny, don't let some doctor label you with a list of symptoms.  Be all that you can be!

Bipolar Disorder

Ivan Goldberg, M.D.