Bipolar Disorder/being happy and thin

hi Jurriaan, i have a concern to talk to you about. Lately i have been feeling down about myself because of my weight. also, i have not been losing weight lately and i think its due to lithium, ziac, and lisinopril. these drugs are making me feel kind of depressed and worried that i wont be at my pre-lithium weight again. my question to you is what can i do to remedy this and how can i be happy with my weight again.

Dear Christopher,

Weight gain and mood disorder often share a common illness, namely hypoglycemia ( This is because hypoglycemia interferes with the production of biological energy (ATP). Without that energy the body has problems producing feel-good neurotransmitters and unused energy is store in the body as fat cells. Hence it is a good idea for Bipolar people to go on a hypoglycemic diet ( This may be not "cure" bipolar disorder may improve the condition.

Also have a look at some research on Lithium at:

Also have a look at:
Treatment of Bipolar Disorder

More studies on Bipolar Disorder can be found at: at "Bipolar Disorder".

There are number of articles dealing with alternative approaches to Bipolar Disorder at:

Please discuss his with you doctor.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook:

Bipolar Disorder

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

Have worked as a psychotherapist for overv twenty years, dealing with many personality disorders

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia. Its web site is at:

Author of the book "Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) (University of Sydney), Post Gad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)