Bipolar Disorder/Seroquel dosage

Hello. My daughter has been taking 225 mg lamictal and 250 mg of seroquel. She saw her psychiatrist yesterday and she upped the seroquel to 600mg per split between two dosage a day. She is to take 400 for 8 days then start 600. The reason is anxiety ...she has BP 1with anxiety and depression. She has been doing well on lamictal and seroquel , allowing her to lose about 20 lbs gained from depaoke. My concern is the seemingly high dose of seroquel and what the possible effects I have read alot on line from others who have used seroquel that this is a high dose, possibly convulsive type twitching and bad thoughts . Would love your opinion. Thank you

While I like to reserve the use of antipsychotic drugs such as Seroquel for patient who are experiencing psychotic symptoms, there are some people with bipolar anxiety who only get relief from such medications. Involuntary movements are possible with Seroquel. Most such movements are benign and disappear when the medication is lowered or discontinued. However, some people taking anti-psychotic drugs for s prolonged time develop possibly irreversible involuntary movements knows is tardive dyskinesia (TD). Despite discontinuing the drug causing it, the movements associated with TD may be slow to disappear or may never disappear. You can read about TD at:

Bipolar Disorder

Ivan Goldberg, M.D.

I am a psychiatrist/psychopharmacologist with many years of expereince in treating individuals with depressions, manic-depression (Bipolar Disorder), other mood disorders,. I am especially interested in the psychopharmacologic treatment of individuals with so called "treatment-resistant" syndromes.

I have been on the staff of the National Institute of Mental Health, Columbia's College of Physicians and Surgeons, and the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. I am currently in full-time private practice in New York City.

A.B. Johns Hopkins University
M.D. N.Y.U. College of Medicine

I am the creator of Depression Central: