Bipolar Disorder/lithium weight gain

how do you lose weight with lithium?

Hi Christopher,

I believe lithium is used to treat Bipolar Disorder. It is not the lithium  that is primarily responsible for obesity, but rather Bipolar Disorder itself. Most people with Bipolar Disorder are found to be hypoglycemic and going on a hypoglycemic diet may help people controlling their weight. One possible side effect of Lithium Carbonate may be hypothyroidism ---> Obesity. See study below.

Obesity Controversy

Please look up Lithium Carbonate at:

Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disorder at:

Obesity at :

It Might also pay to have yourself tested for hypothyroidism see

Please discuss with your doctor.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Hon. Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman

Bipolar Disorder

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

Have worked as a psychotherapist for overv twenty years, dealing with many personality disorders

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia. Its web site is at:

Author of the book "Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) (University of Sydney), Post Gad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)