Bipolar Disorder/Sudden Depressive State

I was diagnosed Bipolar II in winter 2012. I have since been on Lamictal and Prozac. It has been working fairly well, moods are more even and if I do happen to have a shift it's not as long lasting or severe.

However, about 3 weeks ago a feeling of no desire has come over me. No interest in my husband, no sex interest, no desire to do much of anything but sit or sleep. I have co-morbid anxiety and it seems to be playing up lately as well. My sleep medication isn't working anymore either (prescribed xanax for sleep up to 2 tabs in a night) I thought maybe it was PMS related but since my cycle has come it's still continuing and I'm becoming concerned.

Is this a normal every once in awhile occurrence in this illness? Or should I be concerned something deeper is going on? I am in otherwise good health.  Do you have any suggestions for the mean time? I see my therapist tomorrow and my psychiatrist later this month.

Ashley . . .

I think any change in mood lasting more than 5 days should be immediately reported to your psychiatrist. This is particularly true if there was no clear cut happening in your life that may have cause the mood change.

One of the things I inquire about when patients tell me of mood shifts is whether they had recently refilled a prescription. Some of the generic formulations of lamotrigine are ineffective.

best regards . . .

Bipolar Disorder

Ivan Goldberg, M.D.

I am a psychiatrist/psychopharmacologist with many years of expereince in treating individuals with depressions, manic-depression (Bipolar Disorder), other mood disorders,. I am especially interested in the psychopharmacologic treatment of individuals with so called "treatment-resistant" syndromes.

I have been on the staff of the National Institute of Mental Health, Columbia's College of Physicians and Surgeons, and the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. I am currently in full-time private practice in New York City.

A.B. Johns Hopkins University
M.D. N.Y.U. College of Medicine

I am the creator of Depression Central: