Bipolar Disorder/bipolar

Question
QUESTION: Hi
i was diagnosed with bipolar 2 about 10 years ago after not being helped by a antidepressant, effexor.  I began cutting myself and became very manic and creative.  At this time I was diagnosed with bipolar.  I have not had a manic episode in the manner I had when I was just on the effexor.  I have periods when I am highly obsessed with things...like I will be fixated on buying magazine subscriptions, or jewelry...and then I go back to not being particularly,or highly interested.  My moods are usually very irritable and I get angry a lot.  I am not on an anti-depressant, but am on geodon, and have been on one or another mood stabilty drug.  I don't think my mood has improved being on a drug, or drugs...I am still always feeling depressed and irritable.  I am a teacher, and wonder if stress is the culpit of my diagnosis.  I would so appreciate your take on what you think about my symptoms. Are they typical of bipolar, or do you think not.  I appreciate your help.

ANSWER: Effexor is a drug from the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) class, which may be similar enough to SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs known to cause rapid-cycling in patients with bipolar disorder. I can only attest to my personal experiences with medication(s), as I am not a medical health professional - I have taken geodon, which caused me to have serious issues in my body being able to regulate its core temperature, although nothing can surpass the rare 'allergic' reaction to abilify after it built up in my system instead of properly metabolizing. I won't lie, the process of trying out various medications to find the best ones for treating my individual symptoms (something that each of us go through, if our doctor is one of 'the good ones') was horrible, but the results have allowed me a long-term level of stability that I would never have had otherwise. I still experience irritability and depression, just nothing near as bad as I did before I started medication. How long have you taken a medication before deciding it doesn't work and then going off it? Stress can be a trigger with mood swings, but there will always be something in life that stresses us out - perhaps you would benefit from seeking out a 'second opinion' from a mental health professional? One thing to remember is that your doctor can only treat you based on the information you provide them - if you're not completely honest with them, you're only causing yourself harm in the end. You need to be 100% transparent about your experiences with each medication, that way your doctor can determine whether or not it's simply a matter of raising the dosage or if you should try a different medication instead.

QUESTION: Hi Jennifer.  I appreciate your response.  I see here that you had taken Geodon.  I too feel that it has effects on my temperature...and also, I believe it has raised my anxiety.  Did you have a hard time coming off this drug.  I am only on 40 mg of this, and have been since  November of 2012, and would like to get off of it.  I note that when I don't take it at the exact time of day, I feel horrible.  This worries me, as I wonder if getting off of it will be a horrible experience from withdrawal symptoms...even tapering off such a low dose. I know to tell my doc about comig off and having him know about it, I am just dreading this experience.  I have been on gabapentin for nerve pain, and coming off this drug which I was on for only 2 months at 300 per day...was horrible! Also, what medication are you on now.  In advance, thank you for your help.

Answer
I am currently on Seroquel and Topamax, which I've been on since 2007 at the current dosages. When I was first diagnosed officially back in 2000, I was prescribed Depakote along with Neurontin to treat the manic symptoms and over the course of the next 5-6 years went through a number of other medications such as Geodon, Serezone, Risperdal, and more in the effort to find something to manage the depressive symptoms. I was taken off of Depakote and Neurontin by my doctor due to the side effects of hair loss, loss of equilibrium, and word finding difficulty to name a few. I had to be taken off Risperdal without tapering because it was making me lactate. As far as the level of difficulty in going off Geodon, it wasn't very hard for me, but that's in comparison to my experiences with some of the other medications. From my experience, the more you take of a specific medication, the harder it is and the longer it takes to go off of. You will still need to take medication to treat your bipolar symptoms, but if your doctor insists you stay with one that you are having problematic side effects with or don't feel is working for you - find a new doctor.  

Bipolar Disorder

Jennifer