Bipolar Disorder/Bipolar daughter

I have a bipolar daughter in her mid 20's who is not accepting treatment and is pushing one's closest to her away.  How do we help her and support her when she's not accepting treatment.  How do we help her to understand we only want what is best for her.  Do things turn around for Bipolar people or are they always denying treatment?  I just need to know if there is hope for her.  She is very smart, educated and a wonderful person.  She is sunshine to everyone around her and it's been hard to understand the illness.

Whether or not someone with bipolar disorder will get treatment and stick with it consistently, get treatment but go on and off meds routinely, or refuse treatment altogether depends on the person making that choice - to summarize: it varies from person to person. My own experience started with making a personal commitment to be consistent with my meds because I saw all of the things I was able to accomplish WITH the meds that I knew full well I wouldn't be able to say the same if I was attempting to go without them. The fact that I can choose to look at a situation with some practicality and logic (even if it's the last thing my less-practical-and-rational side wants to do) is just part of my personality - I know several other people with bipolar disorder and all of them have their own perspective on treatment and life. Some of them are educated, some of them took their high school equivalency exam but man can they find their way around electrical/computer/etc systems and devices as if they were born to it. I remember a short time after I first was diagnosed, it was all too easy to feel like taking medication was just "to make me acceptable to the world" instead of getting the world to just take me as I am. After a bit I started to understand that I was never going to reach my goals when I was routinely 'driving myself into a ditch and then going off-roading because it seemed ok at the moment' - letting the moods peak and plunge wasn't the life I wanted to lead.

I honestly can't predict what path your daughter will take. But you can still love her, and encourage her to make the right decisions for herself (while crossing your fingers and hoping that she will decide to get treatment, and stick with it if she does...). You have to acknowledge that she is in her 20's - an adult - and you have done all you can to parent her and guide her all these years. There is still time for her to change her mind on refusing treatment as long as she still lives and breathes. You may wish to seek counseling on your own to deal with the issues and challenges of being a family member of someone with bipolar disorder.  

Bipolar Disorder

I am available to answer questions of a general nature about bipolar disorder, provide online resources that address bipolar disorder in a more in-depth manner and sources to serve as a starting point for those looking for substantial information on the illness from a healthcare professional approach. I am not a doctor or a psychiatrist, my background is based in personal experience and extensive reading in my own process of understanding my diagnosis. I can also take questions that deal with the social issues surrounding bipolar disorder such as relationships; coping for family, friends, and the patient; marriage, choosing to start a family and related. Answers to questions of a legal nature will provide general information but anyone with a serious legal problem should consult an attorney licensed to practice in their jurisdiction.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder type II in 2000; as a SSI beneficiary, have experience and knowledge of the limitations and processes involved with the program; I understand the moods, the feelings, the worries, the doubts, and a lot more that there's not enough room to express - from the personal experiences of being bipolar. I have first-hand experience with the challenges of returning to college following hospitalizations and various combinations of medications that were tried before my doctor and I finally arrived at the most effective medication program for my treatment. My family and I have learned so much about each other in the process of dealing with the highs and lows that followed my diagnosis. I've had relationships with someone who also is bipolar and someone that is not - romantic relationships are no easier on either side! I feel that many of the ideas and beliefs that people have regarding bipolar disorder and those who have the condition promote the continuation of social stigmas associated with mental illness in general, and after learning from others with bipolar disorder, hope to guide others who may be trying to navigate the government health care system,& share information on other possible means of obtaining assistance with the cost of medications and/or mental health services and limited financial assistance programs for meeting basic living expenses for qualified individuals, dealing with problems from or with family & loved ones, co-occurring substance abuse problems, medications and side-effects (and when it feels like nothing will work, or why it's not helping the situation to ask whether or not a patient has taken their 'meds' when they seem hostile or moody to those around them).

I have a B.A. in Liberal Arts and will earn my J.D. upon completion of the Spring 2011 term after which I will be preparing to take the multi-state bar exam.