Bipolar Disorder/bi polar and weight gain from medication

I have been diagnosed as bi poalr 1 for 3 years now. I've been on every medication you can think of. 2 years ago I was put on depakote and gained about 50 lbs in a monthish. I lost some of the weight last year about 25lbs. My new doctor who is amazing has put me on 900 mg of seroquel 225 of lamotrigine and I have again put on weight. Not nearly as much as the depakote but enough for my self confidence to go down. It takes me twice as long to lose weight then someone who isn't on a drug. Do you have an recommendations I can take back to my pyschiatrist like something to counter act the medication,or a medication that can help me lose the weight without possibly having to change what im currently on.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thank you.

Hi emily,
It is always a good idea to go on a hypoglycemic diet ( when you have Bipolar Disorder.  Hypoglycemia ( is a major factor in most mood disorders. It also shares the problem of obesity. The reason is that if you have insulin resistance (cause of hypoglycemia) there is an obstruction in the production of biological energy - necessary in the manufacture of feel-good neurotransmitters - which then accumulate as fat cells in the body.

The supplementation of coconut oil will also help reduce weight. I suggest you consult

Index of Specific Topics at:

and look up information about: Bipolar Disorder, Obesity, Hypoglycemia, Coconut oil, depression and lecithin.

Please discuss any findings with you health care worker or therapist.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook for more questions:

Bipolar Disorder

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

Have worked as a psychotherapist for overv twenty years, dealing with many personality disorders

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia. Its web site is at:

Author of the book "Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) (University of Sydney), Post Gad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)