Bipolar Disorder/lithium induced appetite

hello Jurriaan, im having a big problem that im having a hard time to control.  my appetite is getting out of hand and I know lithium is the cause. what I want to know is how do I get a handle on this appetite problem and why does lithium cause this appetite increase. does lithium lower serotonin?

Hi christopher,

Strangely enough one of the side effects of taking lithium is "loss of appetite", thus your cravings for food is somewhat puzzling. I certainly would discuss this with your doctor.

I know that Bipolar people tend to be hypoglycemic (, that may cause some cravings for carbohydrates. If that is the case I suggest you adopt the hypoglycemic diet as explained here;

Hypoglycemic Diet

For more information about Bipolar disorder please see:

Index of Specific Topics at:

and look up Bipolar Disorder.

Discuss with you doctor ant question you may have.

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook for more questions:

Bipolar Disorder

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

Have worked as a psychotherapist for overv twenty years, dealing with many personality disorders

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia. Its web site is at:

Author of the book "Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) (University of Sydney), Post Gad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)