Bipolar Disorder/bloated belly

hi jurriaan, I think my belly is bloated from 20 years of lithium use. when I get up in the morning I look like im pregnant.  Is this ascites or belly fat. I know lithium is a salt and salt retains water. but when I feel my stomach it feels like a water bed.  I have a suspicion its just fluid retention under my skin and lots of it. what is your opinion on it. I value your answer.

Hi Christopher,

I know that bloating is one of the side effects (toxic effects) of Lithium, and I suggest that you discuss this with your doctor. Maybe it is possible to reduce the amount of lithium with the adoption of the hypoglycemia diet ( See also  Notes on Lithium at: ttps://

Also look up Bipolar Disorder at:  Index of Specific Topics at:

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook for more questions:

Bipolar Disorder

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

Have worked as a psychotherapist for overv twenty years, dealing with many personality disorders

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia. Its web site is at:

Author of the book "Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) (University of Sydney), Post Gad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)