Bipolar Disorder/dating someone who is bi-polar??

Hello! As the title suggests, I think I'm dating someone with bi-polar issues. We've been together for 3 years and I do love him, but it's getting the point where I'm going to break it off because it's so unhealthy. I was talking to one of my close friends the other day and she was saying how the things he does relates to her sister, who is diagnosed with bi-polar. That includes:

- Constant lying, with just about anything! No matter big or small
- Stealing, especially money.. and when caught, turns the story around and NEVER admits. Instead, acts like the victim
- Gets overly angry, even with the smallest issues. As a couple, he always avoided those "talks" and gets really angry even when I'm not even trying to argue
- Once he is angry, he can completely isolate himself and not return any calls no matter the situation or even see me for that matter.

With these symptoms, are any of you familiar with it being related to bi-polar disorder? Or is he just crazy? I'm not even going to bring it up to him because I don't want to deal with what his reaction might be. I'm sick of it. But at the same time if he does have the disorder, I can't help but to feel bad for him and wish he would go get help.

Your feedback would be really appreciated!

Unfortunately the things you describe are applicable to just about everyone, and while that makes it possible to see these things in someone who is bipolar, none of them are symptoms.

If you're involved with someone who lies all the time about things that are insignificant/small all the way to major things, steals property and money, and has anger problems (especially when confronted over matters regarding his being untruthful) and after getting angry he decides to go sulk by himself refusing to talk until he decides he feels like it which means it has to be on his terms - move on. Ordinarily I'd suggest trying to talk to him about these issues, but from what you've said its more likely to be a headache for you than it will get anywhere positive.  

Bipolar Disorder

I am available to answer questions of a general nature about bipolar disorder, provide online resources that address bipolar disorder in a more in-depth manner and sources to serve as a starting point for those looking for substantial information on the illness from a healthcare professional approach. I am not a doctor or a psychiatrist, my background is based in personal experience and extensive reading in my own process of understanding my diagnosis. I can also take questions that deal with the social issues surrounding bipolar disorder such as relationships; coping for family, friends, and the patient; marriage, choosing to start a family and related. Answers to questions of a legal nature will provide general information but anyone with a serious legal problem should consult an attorney licensed to practice in their jurisdiction.

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder type II in 2000; as a SSI beneficiary, have experience and knowledge of the limitations and processes involved with the program; I understand the moods, the feelings, the worries, the doubts, and a lot more that there's not enough room to express - from the personal experiences of being bipolar. I have first-hand experience with the challenges of returning to college following hospitalizations and various combinations of medications that were tried before my doctor and I finally arrived at the most effective medication program for my treatment. My family and I have learned so much about each other in the process of dealing with the highs and lows that followed my diagnosis. I've had relationships with someone who also is bipolar and someone that is not - romantic relationships are no easier on either side! I feel that many of the ideas and beliefs that people have regarding bipolar disorder and those who have the condition promote the continuation of social stigmas associated with mental illness in general, and after learning from others with bipolar disorder, hope to guide others who may be trying to navigate the government health care system,& share information on other possible means of obtaining assistance with the cost of medications and/or mental health services and limited financial assistance programs for meeting basic living expenses for qualified individuals, dealing with problems from or with family & loved ones, co-occurring substance abuse problems, medications and side-effects (and when it feels like nothing will work, or why it's not helping the situation to ask whether or not a patient has taken their 'meds' when they seem hostile or moody to those around them).

I have a B.A. in Liberal Arts and will earn my J.D. upon completion of the Spring 2011 term after which I will be preparing to take the multi-state bar exam.