Bipolar Disorder/Does my friend have bipolar disorder?

This may seem like a dumb question, but I think she might and I've told her I think she does but I want a professional opinion before I really try to get her help. One day she'll be really happy and jumpy and the next day she'll just ignore the world or cry the whole day or act very hostile or really depressing. She could sit next to me and laugh at how I say things weird and the next second she's hitting me and crying. She's very spontaneous, and compulsive. I believe she has bipolar disorder but our other friends and herself, don't think she does. So like I said I would like a professional opinion. Thank you ahead of time :)

Hi Sam,

This question is not easy to answer from a distance, but not all mood swings are signs of a bipolar disorder. Whether bipolar or not, most people with widely fluctuating mood swing may be suffering from hypoglycemia (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

If this does not help stabilising her mood swings in let us say three weeks, it mat pay to see a doctor and get a proper diagnosis.  I suggest that you familiarises yourself with the connexion between mood disorders and nutrition by search the internet for "Mood disorders and Nutrition".

I hope I have been of some help.

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:

Bipolar Disorder

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

Have worked as a psychotherapist for overv twenty years, dealing with many personality disorders

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia. Its web site is at:

Author of the book "Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) (University of Sydney), Post Gad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)