Bipolar Disorder/Husbands Affair

My husband of 21 yrs had a three month affair with my best friend. When I discovered the affair he told me it was't him, that he felt trapped and I freed him, a "force" pushed him through it, he had no feelings or emotions from it, he gradually over the first month would tell me he had no memory of it, he knew it happened but could not see it in his memory.  He had no attraction to this person normally and wanted to drink bleach and peal the skin of his body due to being with her.  

During the time of the affair, he had lost weight rapidly, started exercising to extremes for him (he had never liked to exercise and he actually started running 3-4 miles per day along with riding a bike), was drinking heavily but did stop when I demanded him to, looked very pale and sickly, had wild glassy looking eyes, listened to music loud like teenage years, supposedly thought I didn't love him and that I was talking about him to everyone.  They both said there was no sex only kissed.  

He started self harming and having suicidal ideations along with hallucinations (such as:  he saw spiders crawling everywhere, saw a skeleton hand reaching up out of sand, a wall with all sorts of dials and symbols on it with equations all around, a family of tacos sitting in lounge chairs on a beach, heard someone say chick boom when no one was in room but me, saw a man walk into our bedroom and ho to his side of bed). I got him to therapist who thought severe depression and Bipolar. He then saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed Bipolar 1 with psychosis and delusions. Neither of these knew he had an Uncle who was diagnosed manic depressive and a second one who had committed suicide.  We did not know Bipolar was genetic.

I'm asking for reassurance this all sounds like common symptoms in Bipolar and that he was not in control of his actions/emotions during the manic episode. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have.

Hi FarmWIfe,

If he has a bipolar disorder it is most probable that he may be hypoglycemic (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

This may be one of the facts affecting his behaviour but not be a total treatment. I suggest that he consults a nutritional doctor as well as a psychiatrist and that you inform yourself of the nutritional aspects of his mental illness. Also consult:

Alternative Mental Health articles:

Also see:

Bipolar Disorder - Treatment with Lecithin

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:
All my articles can be found at:

Bipolar Disorder

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

Have worked as a psychotherapist for overv twenty years, dealing with many personality disorders

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia. Its web site is at:

Author of the book "Getting off the Hook", It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. My articles can be found at:

BA (Psych) (University of Sydney), Post Gad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)