Birding/bird identification assistance ...

CARL wrote at 2011-02-14 01:08:26
its 100% HOUSE FINCH i have 4 in my back yard they have been there for 2 weeks,there are becoming more common for sure

Martin wrote at 2011-06-21 15:18:56
I am in Sherwood Park, Alberta, and I have been trying to identify a nesting pair of birds in a vined arch we have over our walkway. Clearly the closest answer I have found is either the House Finch or Cassin's Finch. Dullish light brown with red splashed across its neck, face and crown. Incredible beautiful long song that sounds like a run-on sentence, lasts about 5 seconds. Female appears to be without red markings, tends to leave the nest whenever we walk by, and usually makes some protest noise that is different from the song, a series of chirps.

Forrest Heights Birdman wrote at 2013-05-14 18:08:57
I believe I have also seen this bird in the city.... it seems to have a very unique song... it makes one almost laugh because it's 'all over the place' but it's the same sort of language every time, so it makes the songs easy to identify once you know what to listen for.  

Roger Lederer

Any and all about WILD birds - the science of ornithology. Information about birdwatching, ecology, conservation, migration, behavior, banding, rehabilitation, feeding, songs, binoculars, identification, and careers in ornithology. No questions about pet or caged birds, please.

Have a PhD and over forty years as a professional ornithologist - research, teaching, author, speaker, webmaster of . Have written thirty scientific papers, three bird field guides, a textbook in ecology four other bird books, the latest being "Beaks, Bones, and Bird Songs". Have traveled to 100 countries watching birds and have spoken to hundreds of groups about birds.

PhD in Zoology/Ornithology; Emeritus Professor of Biological Sciences; former Dean of the College of Natural Sciences at California State University, Chico